SIMPLE NETWORK-BASED APPROACH FOR THE RIGHT TO OWN A FIREARM WITHIN DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY
1. We may consider 2 kinds of felony – by lonely inadequate person (P) or well-prepared gang or gangster (G). The former is usually equipped with firearms through legal buying process. The latter possess arms as a rule illegally and with no connection to State Laws and restrictions.
2. It is of some sense to propose that the right to own a firearm is on behalf of grassroots who thus can defend their lives being attacked by gangsters. Contrary if a person has no right to own a firearm it enforce the position of gangsters against peaceful population.
3. Then we take into consideration that the nation lives in democratic environment:the government does not monitor every step ( right or wrong) of a citizen.
4. So we put a Q on which felony jeopardize the nation more – by P or G ?
5. In math terms, P threats lead to random attacks , while Gs generates intended ones. Then we are taking into consideration that any democratic nation might be represented as a Scale-Free Network. It was shown by numerous studies [1,2] that such networks are resistible to random attacks and vulnerable to those of intention.
6. Thus the nation is resistible to P threats and vulnerable to G ones. That means Nation should counteract with latter rather than former , i.e. to provide the right to own a firearm
It is necessary to add that decision makers are taking into account ethical, legal, organization and technical aspects of the problem only.
1. Y.-C. Lai, A.E..Motter, N.Nishikava. Attacks and Cascades in Complex Networks, Lect. Notes Phys. 2004. N.650. Pp.299-310
2. L.Zhao, K.Park, Y.-C. Lai, N.Ye. Tolerance of Scale-Free Networks Against Attack-Induced Cascades. Physical Review E 72. 2005. Pp. 025104-1-4